Director of Innovation, KPMB LAB
Are you a visionary leader with a passion for making a positive impact on the world? Do you believe that innovation is the key to a better future? Can you lead conversations about complex ideas and distill concepts using evidence-based knowledge? If so, we want you to join the KPMB team.
At KPMB, we are a design-first firm dedicated to shaping the future of our built environment. We are open-minded, collaborative, and committed to challenging the status quo to find more resilient and sustainable solutions for our clients and communities. As the Director of Innovation, you will play a critical role in bringing our shared vision to life.
The Director of Innovation for KPMB Architects/KPMB LAB is responsible for leading KPMB’s efforts in researching and developing transformative ideas and unique solutions. This includes identifying and exploring new technologies and materials, as well as developing and implementing strategies which improve and augment KPMB’s design leadership.
KPMB Lab is an incubator for ideas, skills, and processes aimed at solving the important challenges posed by climate change and outdated building codes and practices. As the Director of Innovation, you will play a critical role working with our team to integrate new design, material, and construction strategies to advance building performance. Our purpose and values guide us to design built environments that catalyze positive change for our clients, communities, and the environment.
In this role, you will:
- Inspire, lead, and direct research activities across KPMB Architects
- Be a leader in shaping solutions for the integration of sustainable and resilient design strategies into practice
- Canvas the opinions of researchers and thought leaders from a variety of disciplines
- Bring knowledge of design and technical disciplines that go beyond existing codes to enhance building performance
- Provide specialist consulting capabilities to clients and project teams, to elevate the quality of project delivery, with a focus on environmental issues and social impacts
- Develop the skills necessary to enhance KPMB’s industry leading position as an innovator and knowledge expert on the economic benefits of sustainable design investment
- Provide a continuing education program for KPMB staff to elevate office knowledge and discourse with respect to environmental, social, and economic impacts of sustainable design
- Allocate and coordinate KPMB LAB technical staff and resources to projects in the office
- Foster a culture of creativity, encouraging designers to challenge convention in search of design and technical excellence
Who we are looking for:
- Ten+ years of experience at the intersection of research, design, engineering, innovation, and the application of advanced technologies
- Strong leadership skills including communication, organization, team building, mentoring, and relationship-management
- Experience in developing and presenting thought leadership for media, including publications, white papers, and speaking engagements
- Ability to convert analytical insights into practical applications, aligned with LAB objectives
- Proven ability to integrate critical information and champion advanced concepts/strategies across the organization
- Skill to work collaboratively with stakeholders across the firm…be curious, open-minded and have a sense of humour.
Our Core Values
- People first. We support one another and treat everyone with respect, empathy, and integrity.
- Teamwork. We design through collaboration, challenging ourselves and our clients to achieve excellence.
- Rigour. We rigorously pursue ideas to craft buildings that are transformative, regenerative, and beautiful.
- Sustainability and equity. We seek to have a positive social, environmental, and economic impact through our work.
- We give back. We support and strengthen the cultural and social well-being of our communities.
If this is you, we invite you to contact us by:
Submitting your CV in confidence to email@example.com with “Director of Innovation” in the subject line.
We are committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. KPMB Architects is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status.
If you are contacted by KPMB regarding your application, please advise if you require accommodations.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.